Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Wake Up" -John Legend and The Roots



I have to admit, my knowledge of old soul and R&B music is lacking, however, it is growing. So its hard for me to really compare this music to the original songs, but I can say this, John Legend and The Roots have put together a collection of updated R&B/Soul songs that is just amazing. The two entities alone are extremely talented in their own right. The Roots has got to be one of the best funk/hip hop bands on the planet... or just one of the best bands there is period regardless of genre. John Legend on the other hand, is one of the smoothest voiced R&B singers of the past decade or more. You'd be hard pressed to find a better singer these days. So what happens when they come together to jam out some old standards? Pure and simple greatness. Being of the generation I am from and not knowing the original songs, Its hard for me to imagine hearing them and feeling the same kind of excitement I experience when I hear these versions of the songs. "I can't write left handed" is probably the best example of all of these talents fusing together and, lets be honest, showing off a bit as well. But who cares?! The result is just mind blowing. On the other side of things, aside from the musicianship, is the lyrics of these songs, most of which are protest songs of some sort, that ring just as true today as they did in the '60's or '70's. Its music to make you think, but also something you could groove and dance to as well. ITs the best of both worlds really. So do yourself a favor and buy this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment