Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oscar Best Picture

As I've said before, I'm not a professional, so the things I review or suggest are just what I've had the time and money to experience. That being said, I wanted to comment on the oscars nods for best picture this year and give a sort of prediction.
If I had my way (which i don't), the close competition would be between Inglorious Basterds, District 9, and UP in the Air. However, I don't believe any of these will win best picture. Inglorious Basterds probably has the best chance out of those three, however, Avatar will most likely win. Inglorious Basterds was one of the most original movies I've seen in years. And one of the only American movies ever, that didn't "Americanize" all the other countries it portrayed. It truly was an international film. Germans spoke German. The French spoke French. English and Americans spoke English. Its definitely a fantasy of a different sort than Avatar. And yes Avatar may have its merits, and its underlying themes but what's so wrong with a movie being purely entertaining? Does entertainment mean that its unworthy of an award? There was definitely no shortage of compelling dialogue, or interesting plot twists. Yes, Avatar is a huge movie in every way. Gorgeous landscapes, beautiful ideas, and of course underlying themes. But, as fantastical as Avatar is, it seems somehow prosaic compared to the creativity that went into creating a fictional world, inside of a period in history that we all know.
District 9 was not initially as impressive as it was after buying the dvd and seeing that all the dialogue was all improv. I don't think this movie has a chance in hell. I'm pleasantly surprised that its nominated, just because of the type of movie it is. I think the oscars are taking a step in the right direction.
Up in the Air is a very close contender for my favorite movie of the year. Its a great story that is extremely relevant and touching all at the same time. George Clooney is amazing. His performance was probably too subtle to be noticed as a "best actor'' performance, however, there is no shortage of emotion spilling out of his eyes in every scene. This movie is wonderfully acted, and written, but I just don't think it has the pull to edge out the other movies in this category.
SO which movie do I think will win? After this long diatribe about my preferred movies, here's who I think it will be between...
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
and possibly Precious
Its a tough call, Precious could pull a Crash and come out over the big obvious choices, but I doubt it. Though I haven't had the chance to see that movie yet. Or about 2 or 3 of the other choices. (as i said, i don't get paid to see movies, so i'm slightly limited)
Avatar will most likely win (dammit)
Its just disappointing when you can almost tell who will win before the show even takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment