Monday, February 22, 2010

Shiner 101 Czech Style Pilsner 6/10


Shiner has been making beer for 101 years. Thus, their 101st anniversary beer, a Czech style pilsner. This beer was a sort of mission for me. I saw a billboard advertising it about a month ago and have been searching for it ever since. I finally found it at Target of all places. Now a search of that magnitude usually tends to lean toward disappointment, however, I do have to say that Shiner 101 is probably my favorite beer Shiner has made other than its flagship, Shiner Bock. This beer is a very familiar beer to most casual beer drinkers. This style has been copied time and time again, however, Shiner has chosen to brew this beer the "craft" brew way, with only four ingredients, just barley, hops, water, and yeast. This may seem like an easy way out, but on the contrary, simplicity is one of the hardest things to pull of and make work. Initially, the beer has quite a strong flavor, with a somewhat disappointing finish (aka lingering flavor). That being said, the flavor that it does have is wonderful. Its subtle and strong at the same time. As far as smell goes, it leans toward citrus. And color is of course the classic golden yellow color. This beer is definitely not a mind blowingly flavorful beer, but it does deliver. Hopefully Shiner keeps this beer around for a while, because as an everyday drinker, beer couldn't get much more enjoyable than this. 6/10

1 comment:

  1. Damn, you drink everyday? I tease, that's interesting I hadn't even heard of it yet. I'll have to try it. So far, I've tried everything except for Blonde and I think one other one. I am quite the Shiner beer fan. And I will check out some more of your blogs, well written sir ;)

    ReplyDelete